Friday, August 3, 2012

Retiring

A while back an older couple spoke in our community service about some mission work they are doing. They were one of my 8th grade cell group girl's grandparents.
Here is what was so incredibly intriguing and challenging about this couple:
They felt called to do missions in Asia-area when they were well into their grandparenting years, and they went.
In a world were people strive to make enough to "nicely retire", their story stood out like a sore thumb to me. Their goal was anti the "American dream" - they heeded the words of Paul to "finish the race strong" and, even in their more ripened years, had hearts sensitive to the Holy Spirit's guidance and were obedient.
It was such a refreshing picture of what Paul must have meant when he urged the church to finish strong.
Here's the kicker, too...this couple isn't doing anything easy or comfortable. They are working with sex-trafficked refugees on the border of Burma and in Thailand...some of the most dangerous areas in the world, and in one of the most dangerous/risky businesses in existence right now.
They had originally only committed to a few years, but are going strong on 7 as we speak.
She came and spoke to our cell group girls a few months back, and it is incredible what God is doing through them in their ministry.
I hope to have a chance to join them next summer for a short trip!! :)

Anyway, love their story. Love their willingness to be used by God, no matter their age or what society tells them they should be doing now. Their race is not over.

Jason and I have recently talked about this upon hearing their story, and how "retirement" just isn't Biblical as far as we understand Scripture. Our mission as Christians is to reach the world for Christ and make disciples. Sounds cliche, but life is so dang short, even if we're blessed to live old! There is not a lot of time to evangelize and make disciples and when we aim to just sit back and "nicely retire", we cut it even shorter!

Something that's burdened me and some of my friends recently who are in the same life stage has been the lack of contact with non-Christians. Staying at home with small kids, I've struggled with how to "make disciples" and put myself in the paths of people who don't know the love of Christ. I was a part of a meeting with some ladies from my church the other night and we discussed this for three hours. I left incredible encouraged and completely energized by some things God single handedly orchestrated and brought together that night (that will go in effect starting this fall). Seriously y'all, my husband and I (and me personally) have been praying and discussing things God has been laying on our heart for the upcoming near future and a few nights ago, the first steps just beautifully fell together, but (in amazing God-fashion!) none of it in the way I had thought. Which was simply beautiful.
I'm excited to share some of these as they continue to unfold and incredibly energized by what God is doing.
I will share one piece: I was challenged and convicted that night by how when I pray :"God show us what's next and we will follow!!" that He might ask of me something I'm uncomfortable with or never imagined. I realized that what I really mean sometimes when I pray is: "God, I have these 3 great ideas...you pick which one and I'll do it."
Yeah that's not how it works and I was convicted.
Excited for what's in store...in a nervous/uncomfortable sort of way. :)

oh, and check out that couple's site Garden of Hope!

No comments: