Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Random Brain

1. I told Jason I want to buy one of those cool track suit things all the Olympians are wearing. I told him I'd wear it when I go to the airport to travel next, and that I'd walk through the airport with my "confident walk" and people would think I'm an Olympian. He asked me what event I'd want people to think I represented. I thought about it...not swimming (don't have the shoulders for that one to be believable)...not track...not tennis (that didn't have the "cool" factor I was going after)...maybe beach volleyball, but still not satisfied...I said "Gymnastics...they'd think I was a gymnast!"
His immediately laughed and said "You definitely don't have a gymnast body!"
Was that a compliment or insult?? Huh.
So I told him "That's the whole point of the track suit and me not walking through the airport in a leotard!"
He then said I could maybe pass as a gymnast in the track suit and looked up how much they cost.
Close to $500.
Now the whole conversation immediately became pointless (okay, it became pointless well before that).

My little Olympian


2. Heaven has been talked about a lot in our house since Tucker died. Particularly in the past 3 days, it has been on Lincoln's mind. He's talked about everything from how we get there, to who is going to be there, to what we will see there, to not having to miss Tucker anymore, and the main thing he's been going around saying is "When I get to heaven, I'm going to give Jesus a BIG hug and a kiss!!"
We've added discussing how while her eon earth, we need to tell everyone about Jesus and how much He loves them. Yesterday, I noticed he was playing with some of his Veggie Tales figurines and our decorative cross off the table. He was acting like Junior the Asparagus was "Jesus" and was dying on the cross, but then would get off the cross and say "You can't defeat me! I'm the strongest EVER!"
Love these times of watching his heart try and grasp these concepts of His Creator.

3. Jason has has the nastiest form of strep I've ever seen this past week. We were close to having to take him to the ER a few times. The poor guy hasn't been able to eat anything but yogurt for about 5 days and has lost 15-20lbs because of this nasty thing. I think he is finally on the mend though.

4. I'm sad our swimming days are dwindling for the summer. But then when I was running at the gym last night, it hit me - now that I belong to a gym, we have an indoor pool to use at any time! So our winter workouts may end with some pool time! Noah can still practice his "Wyan Wochte" skills (as he refers to his favorite swimmer).

5. Speaking of running, I mix it up all the time to keep from getting bored on the treadmill, and I did something yesterday I think all of you could get through. It's not that hard, and the time passes super fast because you are always changing the speeds. So for those new runners or ones out of shape trying to regain it, or those who wanna run but get bored, give this a try:
5 min: run 6.0
5 min: walk 4.8
4 min: run 6.0
4 min: walk 4.8
3 min: run 6.0
3 min: walk 4.8
2 min: run 6.0
2 min: walk 4.8
1 min: run 6.0
1 min: walk 4.8

30 min total.

Then as you get better, increase running speed with each interval.
These basketball buddies putting their time in at the gym:

Have a good day!!!

3 comments:

amy hill said...

Fun post...I love lincoln's heart and excitement about heaven :)

Meredith said...

Michael and I have pointless conversations all of the time. Even while we're having them we know they're ridiculous but we can't help it. I think it makes marriage more fun, eh? :) And on a more serious note, I LOVE how much Lincoln already understands about Jesus and heaven. I hope we're able to raise our kiddos with the same understanding!

Unknown said...

melissa,
i am so inspired by your story of staying home and denying yourself so you can spend more time with your kids! i have so much respect for you staying home with 3 little ones! you keep alluding to something in the works and i can't wait to read more about it when you are ready to share it with the internet :).