Monday, July 23, 2012

The Clock

When Lincoln wakes up, he doesn't linger in bed. He immediately jumps up and burst through his door...I'm not even sure he opens his eyes until he reaches the living room.
Thus, if he wakes up early...say 5ish, he doesn't take the time to stop and consider "it's early and I'm still tired" before he's burst through his door, totally discombobulated.

He doesn't always get up early like that, but it is random and those days stink (even though he can be pretty self sufficient while we sleep...he's just exhausted come noon).

So I stole an idea and bought him a digital clock, and ducktaped over the minutes (so all he sees is the hour number).

We told him he was not allowed to come out until he say a "7".

We practiced. He was pumped. Let's do this.

How did it go?
In the morning, he rushed in our room holding his little clock and told us "It's broken!!! It's only showing 5's and 6's!! It won't show a 7!!!"

We assured him the "7" would come and sent him back to bed.

Yall, he ran in our room, giddy excited, STRAIGHT UP 7:00 yelling, "I see the 7! I see the 7!!!"

He sat there in his room staring at the darn thing until it changed to 7. Hilarious.

Then at naptime, he slept SUPER long. He was going on 4 hours and it hit us that he might be in there waiting for the darn "7"!
So we went in and mind you, he was out, but when we woke him up, the first thing he said was "I was waiting on the "7" to come.". Ha.
So next step is remembering naptimes are different and telling him so.

As soon as we get this down, we're moving Noah back into his room and Miss Adelynn into her own room since she is pretty much sleeping through the night now! :)

1 comment:

Meredith said...

This MADE MY DAY!! How funny (and what a great idea)! I hope it continues to work--keep us posted! And congrats on little miss sleeping through the night--woohoo!